Sunday, August 3, 2008

"The gospel of my life"

“WHAT A JOY!!!
WHAT MARVELS!!!
WHAT A THANKSGIVING!!!”

(My 8-day Retreat)

I knew only of my selfish ambition and I was eager to enjoy life at the level of earthly fortunes. I struggled to affirm my own identity and dreamt of being totally independent, successful and rich.
But Jesus passed by, inviting me to come with Him and see the real treasure that “neither moth nor rust can destroy and where thieves can steal”. Ah what a joy, what marvels, what avthanksgiving filled my heart for the wonders God has shown me.
With unbelief I uttered like a Psalmist: “What is the mortal that you be mindful of him, the son of man that you should care for him? Yet you made him a little lower than the angels, you have crowned him with glory and honor.”
Come my friends, let us not be afraid to surrender ourselves and our treasures to the Lord and enter His courts empty handed and naked. One thing though He asks from us: “Deny yourself, take up your cross and follow me.” The beginning of the challenging journey…
What joy, what marvels, what thanksgiving filled my heart for the works of God in me. I hardly knew myself except my “projected self.’ I relate in a “world of roles and functions”, live in a world of denial, masks and deceiving images.” I built walls that separated me from others. Yes, I built my own prison cell without knowing it. But God wanted me to be free and to be home to my “family”. So, He paved the way, crashed down walls of selfishness and inhibitions…
At first, I was afraid to move forward but Jesus assures me, “Do not be afraid, I am with you always.”
Come my friends, let us move on together with Jesus.
Jesus is the GOOD SHEPHERD who laid down His life for us. He will protect us from the “wolves” that attack us both from within and outside ourselves.
What a joy, what marvels, what a grace… God has given us so much.

Sr. Maricel Humpay, cm
Carmelite Missionary
July 24, 2008

No comments: